isaiah 48:11 meaning

How, why, and when did Satan fall from heaven? The uneven shall be made level, and the rough places a plain. 10Behold, I have refined you, but not as silver; I have tested you in the furnace of affliction. Isaiah 40:1-11 is one of the most important texts in all of Isaiah.1 The narrative immediately preceding it (Isaiah 39:1-8) features King Hezekiah, who hosts an envoy from the faraway country of Babylon. Isaiah 48:11 In-Context. 1. Isaiah 48:9-11. He experiences suffering and affliction (53:3). ISAIAH, THE TIMES It was a time of great political turmoil for the nation of . Calling a ravenous bird from the east, the man that executeth my counsel from a far country: yea, I have spoken it, I will also bring it to pass; I have purposed it, I will also do it. By their obstinacy and impudence, and by their proneness to idolatry, and to . I will not yield my glory to another. For I knew that you would deal very treacherously, and that from birth you were called a rebel. To strengthen. . . Isaiah chapter 48. Incredibly, he comes back to life and is exalted above all rulers (53:11-12; 52:15). Workbook on Isaiah Page #8 Assignments on Isaiah chap. Use this table to get a word-for-word translation of the original Hebrew Scripture. Isaiah was executed by Manasseh only a few years after he ascended the throne. 10 See, I have refined you, though not as silver; I have tested you in the furnace of affliction. Three years after the Lord's command in verse 2, he explained the meaning of Isaiah's actions (v. 3), which show how connected Egypt and Cush were. (see Isaiah 40:10-11). Isaiah 58:11 New Life Version. In verses 21-26 Isaiah emphasized the bigness of God as the ruler of the universe. He is a person that has revealed himself to us that we may know him and the power of his resurrection (Phil 3:10). Isaiah 11 begins with the claim that new life will spring forth from an injured stump: "A shoot shall come out from the stump of Jesse, and a branch shall grow out of his roots.". John Piper. Our loving heavenly Father has not only promised to lead us sometimes, or ofttimes . What is the meaning of a drop in a bucket in Isaiah 40:15? #2 "I have engraved you on the palms of my hands;". God sits enthroned in the heavens and is able to deal with the puny princes of the earth (40:23) who are like grasshoppers in His sight (40:22). The prophet foresees that the people of Israel in captivity in Babylon will be resigned to living out their lives there. . What I have said, that I will bring about; what I have planned, that I will do. . For mine own sake, even for mine own sake, will I do it. You will be like a garden that has enough water, like a well of water that never dries up. Founder & Teacher, desiringGod.org. You look at a Bible text on the screen. (40-48) Salvation Through The Suffering Servant (49-53) The Future Glory For God's People (54-66) He has no physical hands, but this is poetic imagery that means he keeps us in his . called by the name Israel, sprung from the stock of Judah, You who swear by the name of the LORD. ), by comfort and consolation.Israel is assured that God has not cast him off, and promised the comfort of the Divine presence during the existing tribulation (verse 2), and. God delayed announcement lest Israel grow complacent in its knowledge (vv. He 11:37). What is Look at the Book? . . The meaning of the verse seems to be this: I have purified you, but not as silver is purified; for when it is purified, no dross of any kind is left behind. Isaiah 48:9-11 "For the sake of My name I delay My wrath, And for My praise I restrain it for you, In order not to cut you off. A. 8 Yea, thou heardest not; yea, thou knewest not; yea, from that time that thine ear was not opened: for I knew that thou wouldest deal very treacherously, and wast called a transgressor from the womb. What is the circle of the earth (Isaiah 40:22)? Indeed, we know that we have a blessed hope and an eternal inheritance in Christ, that is kept for us in heaven. 1) ( Isaiah 6:1-4) Overwhelmed with a vision of the emphasized holiness of the majestic God. Our parched soul has been revived and satisfied by the living water of life, which has become an inner spring of water, welling up into eternal life. 12 Listen to me, you stubborn-hearted, you who are now far from my righteousness. 11 For my own sake, for my own sake, I do this. Although Elijah, Elisha, and other great prophets preceded Isaiah, he stands out as one of the most prominent in Jewish history.4 T he Book of Isaiah comprises a full 66 chaptersthe largest of all the prophetic works in the Biblical canonand his words are cited extensively throughout the Talmud and Midrashic works. The English definition is adversity; bad, evil. . 9. 1 Listen to this, you descendants of Jacob, you who are called by the name of Israel and come from the line of Judah, you who take oaths in the name of the LORD and invoke the God of Israel-- but not in truth or righteousness-- 2 you who call yourselves citizens of the holy city and claim to rely on the God of Israel-- the . The Meaning of Numbers: The Number 11. CHAPTER 48 Exhortations to the Exiles. What does this verse really mean? We immediately know what fills the interior pockets of the sponge. Isaiah 40:31 contains a great promise of strength for the weary: "they who wait for the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles; they shall run and not be weary; they shall walk and not faint.". But God promised that He would not abandon them, and would gather them back to the land in the last days (Isaiah 11:1-12). Answer. Denomination: Assembly Of God. Beyond this, the Bible's sole interest is in Isaiah's message, which is summed up in the meaning of his name: "Yahweh is salvation." . This narrative, which functions as the conclusion to "First Isaiah" (Isaiah 1-39) points forward to what is arguably the book's most formative Continue reading "Commentary on Isaiah . This hiphil probably means "make solid by treading," so the refined meaning would yield . What does it mean that the grass withers and the flowers fade, but the Word of the Lord endures forever (Isaiah 40:8)? You have never heard, you have never known, from of old your ear has not been opened. Answer (1 of 7): Isaiah 48:20 Go you forth of Babylon, flee you from the Chaldeans, with a voice of singing declare you, tell this, utter it even to the end of the earth; say you, The LORD has redeemed his servant Jacob. Our parched soul has been revived and satisfied by the living water of life, which has become an inner spring of water, welling up into eternal life. The expression here is repeated to denote emphasis. The Binitarian Implication of Isaiah 48:16 - The Divine Personhood of the Holy Spirit . Lab by. God through Isaiah was announcing new prophecies. The statement is repeated in Isaiah 57:21. When people are open to God they will be convicted of their sin and turn to . Isaiah 46:11. Israel is God's Chosen People. Lab by. Isaiah 48:10-11 Behold, I have refined thee, but not with silver; I have chosen thee in the furnace of affliction. . 2021 12 Nov. "Seek the LORD while he may be found; call on him while he is near.". What is Look at the Book? It is identified by a superscription as the words of the 8th-century BCE prophet Isaiah ben Amoz, but there is extensive evidence that much of it was composed during the Babylonian . The neuter pronoun includes the whole work of redemption. It instills a sense of security. Barnes's Isaiah 48:11 Bible Commentary. . This blasphemy forced God to defend His name by sending Israel into a "furnace of affliction" (Isaiah 48:1-11). How can I let myself be defamed? "Hear this, O house of Jacob, Who are called by the name of Israel, And have come forth from the wellsprings of Judah; Who swear by the name of the LORD, And make mention of the God of Israel, Masoretic Text: And he will grow up like a young plant before his face and like a root from dry land. God the Father is a spirit. A RENEWED PROMISE TO ISRAEL OF PROTECTION AND DELIVERANCE.Severe rebuke (Isaiah 42:18-25) is followed, as so often in Isaiah (Isaiah 1:25-27; Isaiah 4:2-6; Isaiah 9:1-16, etc. 10 See, I have refined you, but not like * silver; I have tested you in the furnace of adversity. isaiah 48:9-11. The Servant accepts vicarious and substitutionary suffering on behalf of his people (53:4-6, 12). The Book of Isaiah (Hebrew: , [s.fr j.a.ja.hu]) is the first of the Latter Prophets in the Hebrew Bible and the first of the Major Prophets in the Christian Old Testament. In Chapters 40 to 66, God promises comfort to his people. Septuagint: We announced before him like a male child, like a root in thirsty land. Chastening and Mercy for Judah. See how the emphasis is laid upon that; for it is a reason that cannot fail, and therefore the . Isaiah 48:11, NLT: I will rescue you for my sake--yes, for my own sake! 11 For my own sake, . For how should my name be polluted? Many are called, but few are chosen. Isaiah 48:16,17 Come ye near unto me, hear ye this: From the beginning, I have not spoken in secret; from the time that . "latter days" - Acts 2:16,17; Hebrews 1:2 - "Lord's house" - 1 Timothy 3:15; 1 Peter 2:5 - One source describes Isaiah as having been sawn asunder with a wooden saw (cf. 1 Hear ye this, O house of Jacob, which are called by the name of Israel, and are come forth out of the waters of Judah, which swear by the name of the LORD, and make mention of the God of Israel, but not in truth, nor in righteousness. Let every valley be lifted up, And every mountain and hill be made low; And let the rough ground become a plain, And the rugged terrain a broad valley." (Isaiah 40:3,4). For us, in English, comfort is soothing. . And I will not give My glory to another. In the Book of Isaiah, the meaning of 'my (that is, the *Lord's) special Servant' varies. For how should my name be polluted - "For how would my name be blasphemed"] The word shemi, my name, is dropped out of the text; it is supplied by a MS. which has shemi; and by the Septuagint, .The Syriac and Vulgate get over the difficulty, by making the verb in the first person; that . Isaiah 48:10 Context. Isaiah 57:20 explains further: "The wicked are like the tossing sea, which cannot rest, whose waves cast up mire and mud.". ( Isa 48:1-2) The LORD sees the hypocrisy of Judah. 739-690 B.C.). Clarke's Commentary. and invoke the God of Israel. The meaning is obscure, and perhaps depends on some unknown process in ancient metallurgy. 45:7 from the Hebrew reads in the Interlinear as: "I form the light, and create darkness, I make peace, and create calamity - I Yahweh do all [these] things." The word that is translated in the KJV and YLT, and several English versions as "evil" is Strong's Heb 7451 "ra'". 3) ( Isaiah 6:6-7) Overwhelmed by the gracious provision of forgiveness. The LORD calls the unfaithful to respond (1, 2). Scripture: Isaiah 48:10-11, Zechariah 13:9, James 2:1-6. II.C.4.A.II. On Isaiah 48:20. No one or no thing can compare to God (40:25). He created the stars and "calls them all by name" (40:26). He is the One who points us to Christ, the Author and Finisher of our faith, Who died and rose again so that we might live and be raised into life immortal, and He is the one that bestows on us gifts of the spirit and spiritual graces. I will not let my reputation be tarnished, and I will not share my glory with idols! Isaiah 48:11 New Century Version (NCV) 11 I do this for myself, for my own sake. The Holy Spirit qualifies for service; and those may speak boldly, who. 2 (Sapagka't sila'y tinatawag ayon sa bayang banal, at nagsitiwala sa Dios ng Israel; ang Panginoon ng mga hukbo . There he prophesied about the consequences of the wickedness of both kingdoms (Israel and Judah); he tried "to New International Version For my own sake, for my own sake, I do this. Is this a reference to the exile, in which the Davidic monarchy . Defer his anger, not cut off his people and destroy them, but redeem and save them: this, in the literal sense, respects the redemption and deliverance of the Jews by Cyrus from the Babylonish captivity; which the Lord did, not for any deserts of theirs, but . {P} I will not let people speak evil against me, and I will not let some god take my glory. Isaiah 45:11-12 "For this is what Yahweh says he who created . 9 For my name's sake I defer my anger, for the sake of my praise I restrain it for you, so that I may not cut you off. September 30, 2014. 6b-7 . 6 Lift up your eyes to the heavens, and look upon the earth beneath; for the heavens shall vanish away like smoke, and the earth shall wax old like a garment, and they that dwell therein shall die in like manner; but My salvation shall be for ever, and My favour shall not be abolished. Chapter 48. Isaiah 48:11. EXPOSITION. . 11 For my own sake, for my own sake, I do it, for why should my name * be profaned? But notice that Jesus said in Isaiah 48:10, "I have refined thee, but not with silver; I have chosen thee in the furnace of affliction.". This would mean Isaiah prophesied during a period of approximately fifty years (ca. No [dignified] form or comeliness does he have, and we shall look at him, and no beauty [is there] that we should desire him. . You look at a Bible text on the screen. Isaiah (Yesa yahu = Yahweh is salvation) is one of the most outstanding and most important of the prophets. 2 Please read Isaiah 2 and answer the following questions: 1. isaiah. Isaiah 48:11 Translation & Meaning. Isaiah 40:3-4 The Study. Romans In Isaiah 48 Series Contributed by Ed Vasicek on Apr 22, 2013 | 3,018 views. Isaiah 48:11. Commonly the refining of silver is taken as a parable of God's dealings with His people (Isaiah 1:25; Ezekiel 22:18-22; Malachi 3:3).Here the thought seems to be that the discipline had been less fierce than that of the refiner's fire. Isaiah's book, according to Jewish tradition written some 2,700 years ago in First-Temple-period Jerusalem, is a singularly rich source of the Jewish understanding of the end times and the . Isaiah 55:6 (NIV) Seeking the LORD while he may be found means coming to Him fully through the way Jesus made . There is a good basis for thinking that he belonged to a distinguished priestly and perhaps noble family, judging from his education and culture and from his contacts with the court and nobility of the kingdom of Judah. By this, the Prophet intimates that in these words, too ( Isaiah 48:9-11), he only repeats what he had said before. So going by the plain meaning of the text (the Peshat level), it is not a messianic text. 8. Isaiah 48:9-11. 1, in 2014, RoseAnn Benson and Shon D. Hopkin wrote that Isaiah the prophet was regularly given access to the kingly court of Judah. Verses 1-28. b. New International Version Update. 1. Isaiah 48:1-11 View this passage in NIV (Bible Gateway) Think a moment about a water-saturated sponge. You watch his pen "draw out" meaning. 11"For My own sake, for My own sake, I will act; For how can My name be profaned? God is saying, "Encourage my people. For mine own sake, even for mine own sake, will I do it: for how should my name be polluted? Isaiah 43:1-7 is a prophecy or a promise to Israel from God that He would bring them back to the land they once possessed. Discuss the meaning of the following phrases from 2:1-4 (Note the Scriptures.) God is patient, He is determined, and He does not give up. Isaiah 48:11, NASB: For My own sake, for My own sake, I will act; For how can My name be profaned? You listen to John Piper. Isaiah 48:12. (10) I have refined thee, but not with silver . 5The glory (Hebrew: kebod) of Yahweh shall be revealed, and all flesh (Hebrew: basar flesh) shall see it together; . And to everybody in the world (see Isaiah 48:20). For mine own sake - (See Isaiah 48:9). 1 Hear this, house of Jacob. Follow the buttons in the right-hand column for detailed definitions and verses that use the . How can I let myself be defamed? Romans In Isaiah 48 Series Contributed by Ed Vasicek on Apr 22, 2013 | 3,018 views. 2) ( Isaiah 6:5) Overwhelmed with the guilt of personal and national sin. The italics show that "my name" is not in the Hebrew, but the context requires its insertion as from Isaiah 48:9. or that of "my glory" from the clause that follows.The "pollution" or desecration of the name of Jehovah would follow, it is implied, on the non . John Piper. . (Read Isaiah 48:1-8) The Jews valued themselves on descent from Jacob, and used the name of Jehovah as their God. Yet all this was leading up to yet another revelation of God's grace. English Standard Version Isaiah 48 - Chastening and Mercy for Judah A. 11 For my own sake, for my own sake, I do this. Isaiah 48 deals with just such a problem with stubborn Israel. ( Isaiah 6:8-13) Isaiah's commissioning to a ministry of hardening hearts. The same is true of ourselves. 9 For my own name's sake I delay my wrath; for the sake of my praise I hold it back from you, so as not to destroy you completely. Our loving heavenly Father has not only promised to lead us sometimes, or ofttimes . For my name's sake I defer my anger, for the sake of my praise I restrain it for you, so that I may not cut you off. 13 I am bringing my righteousness near, it is not far away; and my salvation will not be . Or it actually refers back to Yahweh, meaning Yahweh's Redeemer. It eases our pain and makes us feel better. Isaiah 48:11 b, in which manifestly the thought of Isaiah 48:9-11 culminates, is a literal repetition of Isaiah 42:8. IsaiahChapter 48. You listen to John Piper. Isaiah 11:1-4,10-13 And there shall come forth a shoot out of the stock of Jesse, and a twig shall grow forth out of his roots. If we are not sincere in religion, we do but take the name of the Lord in vain. Indeed, we know that we have a blessed hope and an eternal inheritance in Christ, that is kept for us in heaven. The translation of Isa. 48:9-11). The Hebrew word used here, nachamu, is more like 1611 King James' English: come fort. What is a plumb line in the Bible? If the second explanation is the correct one then this means that there are two Yahwehs in view, namely, Yahweh the . Isaiah 48:1-7 [1] Hear ye this, O house of . and rely on the God of Israel, whose name is the LORD of hosts. The LORD clearly sees the hard hearts of His people. God, having in the foregoing chapter reckoned with the Babylonians, and shown them their sins and the desolation that was coming upon them for their sins, to show that he hates sin wherever he finds it and will not connive at it in his own people, comes, in this chapter, to show the house of Jacob their sins, but, withal, the mercy . For my own sake, even for my own sake, will I do it, Isaiah 48:11; Isaiah 48:11. However, Isaiah also teaches us about the salvation that God offers: " I will praise you, O LORD, although you were angry with me, your anger has turned away and you have comforted me. . September 30, 2014. and lived in Jerusalem. (The word 'comfort' appears 13 times.) Isaiah 48:9-11 "For the sake of My name I delay My wrath, And for My praise I restrain it for you, In order not to cut you off. He was born around the year 700 B.C. They prided themselves respecting Jerusalem and the temple, yet there was no holiness in their lives. Meet Isaiah. And My glory I will not give to another. 53:2. The prophecy of this chapter is concerning the deliverance and salvation of the Jews, and is addressed unto them; who are described by their natural descent and lineage, and by their hypocrisy in religious things, Isaiah 48:1. Much of what Paul writes in Romans comes from Isaiah: God's truth is eternal, so it is no surprise that we see the major tenants of the Christian faith are found in the Old . Share. . Isaiah 48 Israel Refined for God's Glory. Scripture: Isaiah 48:10-11, Zechariah 13:9, James 2:1-6. . Denomination: Assembly Of God. The Sages teach that Isaiah was privy to a most sublime . Our Christian journey can be a road paved with many tears. Hear this, O house of Jacob, who are called by the name of Israel, and have come forth from the wellsprings of Judah; who swear by the name of the LORD, and make mention of the God of Israel, but not in . In the Bible, 11 is used twenty-four times and "11th" can be found 19 times. (Isa. This shows the English words related to the source biblical texts along with brief definitions. (1-2) The LORD sees the hypocrisy of Judah. 1 Iyong dinggin ito, Oh sangbahayan ni Jacob, na tinatawag sa pangalan ng Israel, at nagsilabas sa bukal ng Juda; na nagsisumpa sa pangalan ng Panginoon, at nagsibanggit ng Dios ng Israel, nguni't hindi sa katotohanan, o sa katuwiran man. It is difficult to say what historical event, if any, lies behind the image of the "stump.". The meaning of the number eleven is important in that it can symbolize disorder, chaos and judgment. Make a level highway in the desert for our God. Let's zero in on the fourth song contained in Isaiah 52-53. And My glory I will not give to another. Special Ways With New Prophecies, 48:6b-11. God gives them new hope in Isa 48:12-16, expresses His longing for Israel in Isa 48:17-19, and dramatically announces the good news of coming redemption in . To encourage. If we push down with our finger even slightly, water runs out onto the table. 11 From the east I summon a bird of prey; from a far-off land, a man to fulfill my purpose. The word "affliction" refers to "misery.". Sometimes, 'my special Servant' identifies a person, such as Eliakim (Isaiah 22:20) or David (Isaiah 37:35) or Isaiah himself (Isaiah 20:3). In both cases, the declaration follows the Lord's denouncements of evil nations and wicked practices. 4Every valley shall be exalted, and every mountain and hill shall be made low. Coming after 10 (which represents law and responsibility), eleven (11) represents the opposite, which is the irresponsibility of . "Babylon has a double meaning: 1) the world; 2) the anti-Christian kingdom. a . Founder & Teacher, desiringGod.org. His charge to us every day is to look at him and "see.". for the wicked.". Verse Isaiah 48:11. Much of what Paul writes in Romans comes from Isaiah: God's truth is eternal, so it is no surprise that we see the major tenants of the Christian faith are found in the Old . I will not yield my glory to another. The believer that has a teachable spirit is the one that the Lord can lead and guide into the way of truth. 10Behold, I have refined you, but not as silver; I have tested you in the furnace of affliction. Isaiah 43:1-7. He will meet the needs of your soul in the dry times and give strength to your body. without sincerity, without justice, 2 Though you are named after the holy city. He is put to death after being condemned (53:7-9). (48:1-11). Isaiah, A Study Guide - From The Executable Outlines Series by Mark A. Copeland - Hundreds of free sermon outlines and Bible study materials available for online browsing and downloading. This promises a supernaturally renewed strengtha strength that would compare to mounting up as an eagle or . Commentary on Isaiah 48:1-8. He also will continue to work in your life because He is eternally faithful. Chapter 48. 2 For they call themselves of the holy city, and stay themselves upon the God . John Gill's Exposition of the Bible. . He had thrown them into the furnace of affliction on his own account, that is, in order that his own name should not be profaned by their irreligion and idolatry, and that the glory which was due to him should not . A. You watch his pen "draw out" meaning. What is the meaning of "I make known the end from the beginning" in verse 10. ? . Third, Isaiah addressed the returned exiles and subsequent generations of God's people with messages of challenge and hope, to keep their faith and obedience steady until God . The first step in the fulfillment began in May 14, 1948. 11"For My own sake, for My own sake, I will act; For how can My name be profaned? 7 They are created now, and not from the beginning; even before the day when thou heardest them not; lest thou shouldest say, Behold, I knew them. and I will not give my glory to another. Surely God is my salvation; I will trust and not be afraid " ( Isaiah 12:1-2 ). (11) Will I do it . The LORD clearly sees the hard hearts of His people. Isaiah 48:22 says, "There is no peace . In their series: "Finding Doctrine and Meaning in Book of Mormon Isaiah," published in the Religious Educator 15, no. 11 The Lord will always lead you. The *Lord's people . "A voice is calling, "Clear the way for the LORD in the wilderness; Make smooth in the desert a highway for our God.

isaiah 48:11 meaning